Many families across the United States have a great time on the 4th of July with their fireworks. However, one family in Tennessee found their life in danger because of them! Thankfully, their dog Roux became quite the hero when he saved his owners’ lives! Read on to discover how he became a hero dog for the books…
In the town of Franklin, Tennessee lives a 3-year-old Belgian Malinois named Roux, owned by Jeff LeCates. LeCates said that their 4th of July started off normally, until, at around 10:45 p.m., Roux started acting very strange. “She just started barking frantically and turning circles at the door, which is not a normal behavior for her,” the man said. Trusting his dog’s instincts, LeCates let Roux out, and she bolted past her owner, out the door, and past the gate, in the blink of an eye. Obviously, LeCates gave chase – and that’s when he saw it.
“To me, it’s just one of those things; Fate, divine intervention, God’s plan,” the owner commented. “Opened the door to let her out, and she ran to the far end of the house, and she ran around the corner, and I noticed the neighbors’ house was on fire.” As soon as LeCates noticed the fire, he ran to his neighbors’ door and started pounding violently, trying to alert the residents. As the family awoke and started the pour out of the house, LeCates knew that he needed to do something quickly if he wanted to help save the house before the fire department arrived…
4th of July Hero Dog
Like his hero dog, LeCates acted quickly: he grabbed a garden hose, knowing it would work better than a fire extinguisher. Bravely, the man fought the flames while Roux comforted the terrified family, who all escaped alive, along with their pets. Finally, after what seemed like forever, but was really less than two minutes, the firefighters arrived. Thankfully, they quickly put out the flames and administered help to those that needed it. It seemed that the ordeal was over. Now, they needed to figure out what started the blaze!
As it turns out, a series of fireworks were set off behind the house, around 10:20 p.m. 25 minutes later, the fire was serious enough for the dog to notice. Franklin Fire Marshal Andy King watched the video evidence and confirmed that the homeowner threw the fireworks away next to the trash around an hour before they ignited. Terribly, while the pets and family escaped the house alive and healthy, the fire took a large portion of LeCates’ neighbors’ house. Apparently, the damage will cost the family around $50,000 in renovations. However, no matter the cost, they are simply thankful to LeCates and Roux for their heroic actions.
A Strange Coincidence
That night, and for weeks afterward, many praised LeCates and Roux, calling them heroes. However, the man says it’s only his dog that deserves the praise. “I’m not a hero; she’s probably a hero. But Brie has already paid me. She’s the reason I have the dog,” said LeCates, hinting that his neighbor helped him find Roux in the first place.
Afterward, some also pointed out quite the strange coincidence: the fire department stated that the neighbor, a dog groomer, had groomed Roux before and even helped his current owner through the adoption process. Perhaps Roux had some amazing memory?